Being Thankful Even When Nothing Wonderful Happens

I sat down to write this blog three, maybe four times. I'm a procrastinator by nature, and I'm perfectly well aware when I am stalling. Usually, the first clue is if I actually spend time to update my computer or clean out my old emails. These, along with balancing my checkbook and re-organizing the tupperware cabinet, are tell-tale signs I'm not ready to write.

For me, writing is like a form of meditation. It forces me to sit still, quiet my mind and focus on the words before me as they string together to form sentences. When I write, I take deep breaths, I slow down, I stop for a moment to think about the world around me. The only other time I feel peace like this is when I step onto a basketball court. For me, writing and basketball are my two forms of meditation.

Now the inherent problem with this blogging schtick is that I feel I need to have something important to say - something that will change my world view, or someone else's. I know, I know, what can I say, I'm relatively new to this blogging thing and still learning.

I was in the car today driving over the Tappan Zee Bridge, as I do nearly every day, and I was struck by a simple thought: not every day is magnificent. Most everyone else has probably figured this one out. I'm a late bloomer, I guess. When I was small, I thought every day would be magnificent. I thought that way because as a child, nearly every one of my days was, in fact, amazing. Maybe because of that, I was hard-wired to expect greatness every single day.

But as I get older, I realize that living life isn't about expecting every moment to be one for the record books. It's about finding one small thing in a day that might be ordinary, but is beautiful nonetheless. And I am reminded that I should thank my parents more for raising me well. I should tell them how beautiful my childhood was for me, and thank them for giving me that extraordinary gift.

I must also remind myself that I will not be perfect every day. For as long as I can remember, I have been harder on myself than anyone else could possibly be. So today when I drove over the Tappan Zee Bridge frustrated about all the things on my To-Do List that had not been completed (and it was already past noon), I noticed the way the sunlight reflected off the ice on the Hudson River, and I told myself to lighten up.

The truth is, there are some days when nothing wonderful happens. While there are times when I fear that mediocrity will eat me alive, and if I have to spend one more minute on the phone with the cable company or the cell phone company or a bank's automated system I might just lose it completely, I know now that life isn't just about doing great things. It's about being thankful even when nothing wonderful happens.

I am so very thankful for all of my blessings...
Now onto that To-Do List.

1 comments:

Well done, one-five. Welcome to Blogworld. Not every post needs to be profound. The beauty of it is that it you're not writing for an editor. You're writing because you want to, so have fun with it.

 

Post a Comment